The Mothers' Union is a world - wide Anglican Organization of Christian Women. It was founded in 1876 by Mary Elizabeth Sumner who was a Pastor's wife. The Union was established in 1918. Membership is open to both men and women who have been baptized in the name of the Holy Trinity and who agree and support the aims and objectives.
The aim of the Mothers' Union is to promote Christianity in marriage and family life through development of women physically, spiritually, mentally and economically.
In Tanzania the Mothers' Union is under the patronage of the Archbishop of the Anglican Church of Tanzania and Bishops in every Diocese. It has a national office which coordinates all activities both inside the country and outside. The Mothers' Union network starts at the Provincial level and extend to every Diocese. In each Diocese the Mothers' Union is represented in Deaneries, Parishes, Congregations and churches.
Membership in the Mothers' Union gives opportunity for :
- Meeting, working and exchanging ideas with others.
- Showing and committing oneself to the Christian family life.
- Running income generating projects for your family, society and your church.
- Enhancing the family's health.
- Identifying and developing your spiritual life.
- Attending and participating in meetings, workshops, seminars and conferences.
- Sharing our views in the society's development.
- Being part of the network of the Mothers' Union fellowship of women worldwide
- Savings and Credit groups (VICOBA)
- Church and Community Mobilazation Proscess (CCMP).
Christian care for families worldwide
Margareth Ndonde Massawa
Provincial MU Secretary and Community Development Coordinator (PCDC):
P.O. Box 899,
Phone : +255 754942566/+255 683827216